Monday, June 18, 2012

Readers in the Making

When I was a little girl, I used to read ALL the time.  I had a special pink lawn chair that I would sit in under our flowering crabapple tree and read and read and read!  I used to walk to the bookmobile at the end of our block with my brother and sister and our 2 neighbor friends with a red wagon.  We would load it up with books and walk home to read.  I loved reading then and I still love reading now.  My poor husband, when I'm reading a good book, I am lost to my surroundings.

My kids have started to develop a love for reading.  I enjoy reading to them and sharing books that I loved as a kid.  

Here are a list of a few of our favorites!  (BG, my 2 yr old, is helping me compile my list and his eyes are getting bigger and bigger.  He keeps telling me we need to read that book, and that book, and that book...)  :)

Room for a Little One is one of my all time favorites.  It's the Christmas story told by the animals in the stable and the pictures are fantastic!  The boys know this is my favorite.

The Tale of Three Trees might bring tears to your eyes as 3 trees dream of being important, only to be cut down for scraps.  You'll need to read it to find out the ending of this sweet story!


The Story of Ferdinand is a great book for my wild and crazy boys!  Seeing gentleness is always welcomed.

Make Way for Ducklings is another one of my favorites!

Little Quack and all of the other stories about Little Quack are so sweet.  We enjoy them all.

Eating the Alphabet is a great way to introduce healthy fruit and veggies.  I love hearing my boys at the grocery store naming the peculiar sounding foods.  "That's kohlrabi and that's a pomegranate!"

The Grouchy Ladybug is a great book to incorporate when teaching your kids to tell the time.  We change the words to say "Want to wrestle?" :)  (My boys wrestle ALL the time!)

Little Critter books are fun.  We look for the spider and the mouse on every single page.  Grandma, Grandpa, and Me is the boys' preferred story!

Ollie's Easter Eggs was a book the boys got from my sister.  I had never heard of Ollie, but am so glad she found him.  They are the cutest little books.  We really get into naming the colors, animals, and whispering "My egg."

A House for Hermit Crab has great ocean creatures and incorporates the months of the year into the story.  Lots of fun.

I love sharing books we enjoy with others and finding new books to read over and over again.  I hope you enjoy our quick list of favorites!!

Blessings,


No comments:

Post a Comment