Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Feeding Your Soul

Do you have those days where things don't go how you planned?  I'm a mom, of course I have them.  I have lots of them!  At these situations, I'm faced between choosing to proceed with disappointment or adjust and positively go with the flow.  It's easier for me to choose the go with the flow approach if I've been filling myself with Christ.

The world constantly bombards you with smut, temptation and anti-Christianity views.  It will wear on you if you don't armor yourself.  Satan is cunning and will attempt to trip you up anyway he can.  Keep  your soul, mind and heart pure.  I speak out of valiant effort and straight from the battle ground.  It is never ending and yet I press on.

How can you armor yourself?  First and foremost, get into God's word.  You can gain knowledge and truth from it.  God directly speaks about spiritual armor in Ephesians.  This is what Ephesians 6:10-18 says: 

10 Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. 11 Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. 12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood,but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. 13 Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. 14 Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, 15 and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. 16 In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. 17 Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.
18 And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people. (www.biblegateway.com)

There is much to do!

Besides God's word, you need to be diligent about what and who you are watching, listening to and interacting with.  You can see lots of things you shouldn't see on television, the Internet, billboards, etc.  Choose wisely.  If you have children, be especially diligent.  They are like sponges.  My boys repeat A LOT of what they hear or see.  It is almost scary how much they remember.

The radio is another place that can hinder your walk with God.  I try to listen to Christian music as much as I can.  There are times that I need to change the channel because I've heard the same song up-teen times.  I usually put the speakers faded to the front and turn it down a little, but I'll turn it up on songs that I know are okay.  I usually listen to country music as the backup, and find that lots of songs cross over with Christian messages.

Focus on the Family is another favorite.  What parent doesn't want to build their knowledge on raising Godly children?  And learning ways to keep your marriage strong is always welcome!  Our oldest son is just getting to the age where he will sit and listen to Adventures in Odyssey.  He really enjoys them and it is filling his little heart with Godly counsel.  My husband loves listening to conservative talk radio, so I get my fair share on road trips.  :)

Books on CD are another option.  You can get the Bible on CD, and other christian authors on CD as well.  Jan Karon's At Home In Mitford is good!!  I really like Lauraine Snelling.  She writes historical fiction books about the lives of Scandinavian settlers in the Dakota Territory.  There are many more books out there you can choose from.

One I feel that is very important, is who you interact with.  Surrounding yourself with firmly grounded Christians is imperative to keep you uplifted, accountable, and growing in your walk with Christ.  A church family, small groups, Bible study groups, etc are the best way to get started and keep connected.

Keep your feet firmly grounded, feed your soul with God's word and stand in God's armor.  God is our rock and we can win the battle with His strength.

Blessings,

No comments:

Post a Comment