Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Homemade Granola

I am always looking for ways to make food from scratch.  I am one of those moms that reads the labels in the store and then explains to my kids that we aren't going to buy it because it has high fructose corn syrup or the likes.  I wouldn't be surprised to hear my kids imitating me one of these days and I would probably get a good laugh out of it!

With that being said, I made homemade granola.  It is so easy to make and you can really make it to your exact specifications.  Your kids can help you too.  It is a less stressful "Kids in the Kitchen" activity!

Dry Ingredients.  Mmm!!

My helpers!!



Here's the recipe I used (off of The Chew) with a few changes:

3 c oats
1/2 c almonds
1/2 c sunflower nuts
1/2 c sesame seeds
1/2 c golden raisins
1/2 c dried cranberries
1/2 c coconut
1/2 c honey
1/2 c peanut oil

Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl.
Mix wet ingredients in a small bowl.  Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix.  Pour into a greased cookie sheet and bake at 250 for 1 hour.  Stir after 30 minutes.

The changes I made were:
3/4 c sunflower nuts
NO sesame seeds
1/2 c red raisins
3/4 c coconut
1/2 c canola oil
Baked Granola

You'll enjoy it, especially since you can really make it however you want to.  It is really good in yogurt.  Not to mention, that it is a great healthy snack too!

Blessings,

No comments:

Post a Comment