Friday, July 13, 2012

Thankful I'm Not a Hoarder

On Wednesday nights at church, we've been watching a video series called "The Blessed Life."  It is preached by Robert Morris at Gateway Church.  It is a great series about tithing and giving your first fruits to the Lord.  I am enjoying it.

He talks about the importance of giving back a portion of what God has already given to us, our first fruits.  If we give our first fruits, God says we will be blessed.  If we do not, we will be cursed (Malachi 3: 6-12).  It should be easy to decide whether to tithe or not.  Yet, it can be a struggle.  Nate and I have been receivers of God's blessings, in more ways than one.

As I was walking around my house last night, I was upset that it was already a disaster zone.  I had spent the day picking up, vacuuming and mopping the floors.  Yet, my kids had turned it upside down in the matter of minutes.  I looked and Nate and said, "It is ridiculous this place looks like this!  It's awful!  I can't stand it!"  As if on cue, the television commercial that started playing was this man crawling through his house, over mountains of stuff, and then sleeping on his "bed" that was a sleeping bag surrounded by walls of clutter.  It was a preview for "Hoarders."  Nate and I both looked at one another and started laughing.  "It could be worse," was his response.  God knew that at that moment, I needed to see that my house isn't really that bad.  It made me thankful that I have a roof over my head, a comfortable bed to sleep in, and just enough room for our family.  I may think I want a bigger, beautiful home, but we are doing just fine where we are at.  God will provide us with exactly what we need, when we need it.  We just need to be open to hearing his voice and following him.  

There is a lot to be thankful for!  Have you taken the time to thank God for all He has blessed you with?  

Blessings,

No comments:

Post a Comment