Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Homemade Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread

Jman, my first born, was born while we lived in seminary housing at Bethel Seminary.  It was the best place to live while starting a family.  The support given by other women and moms was amazing.  When Jman was born, we had meals provided to us.  Our neighbors down the hall brought us one that included peanut butter chocolate chip pumpkin bread as the dessert.  It was fabulous!

Fast forward a little - while searching for family recipes in an old Lutheran church cookbook I got when I was 7, I found a Pumpkin Bread recipe from my great aunt.  So I tried it and added peanut butter and chocolate chips to it.  Let me just say that it is SO good!

I have decided to break my silence and share the recipe here.  You will not regret trying this!  

Pumpkin Bread - makes 2 large loaves or 4 small loaves
2  2/3 c white sugar
2/3 c shortening
4 eggs (beaten)
2 c pumpkin
3  1/3 c flour
2/3 c water
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
1  1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cloves
2/3 c nutmeats (optional)
2/3 c raisins or chopped dates (optional)

2/3 c peanut butter chips (I use big hand fulls)
2/3 c chocolate chips

Cream shortening and sugar thoroughly; add beaten egg, pumpkin and water.  Mix.  Sift together flour, baking powder, soda, salt and spices.  Then add to mixture.  Stir in nuts and raisins or dates OR peanut butter and chocolate chips.  Bake 1 hour at 350 degrees.  Freezes well.  

A few changes I make are:
Cut the sugar in half.  Really, do it.
Instead of shortening, use unsweetened apple sauce, 1:1 ratio.
3 1/3 c flour - I will use 1/3 c flax seed meal, 2 c whole wheat flour and 1 c all-purpose flour.  The last time I made it, I used 1/3 c all-purpose flour and 3 c whole wheat flour.  I switch it up in accordance to what I have in my pantry.


 It definitely is a favorite among my children, even BG who doesn't eat any bread.  His only exceptions are french toast, garlic bread and now pumpkin bread!  


Enjoy!

Blessings,






No comments:

Post a Comment