Saturday, May 14, 2011

Homemade Laundry Soap

UPDATE (8/30/17): I no longer make my own laundry soap.  Click here to read Why I stopped.

I decided to make my own laundry soap this week.  I first heard about it during the Hearts at Home mom's retreat I attended in November.  I just hadn't actually tried it yet.  This week was the week.  We were almost out of detergent and I didn't have any coupons for detergent, so why not try it!  It is a huge savings in cost.  I got my recipe from www.jillsavage.org.  She was the speaker at the conference that talked about it. 

Here's how I made it:
1 bar of Fels Naptha soap, grated
1/2 c Borax
1 c Washing Soda

I warmed the grated soap in 4 c water on the stove, until melted.  Then I added it to the dry ingredients in a 5 gallon bucket.  I stirred it and filled the rest of the bucket with water.  Let it sit for 24 hours.  Then I filled an empty detergent bottle 1/2 full with the soap and filled the rest with water.  And it's ready to go!  Just shake it before every use.


The grated soap bar

It has worked great so far!  And it smells really fresh and clean.  The total cost for the ingredients was about $8 and I'm sure it's going to last for a LONG time.  Great for our budget!! 

1 comment:

  1. good job! I totally need to do this. Have you ever checked out the krazy coupon lady. :) Google her. It's excellent resource for savings.

    ReplyDelete