Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Why I've Stopped Making Laundry Soap

I am back, again!  After 3 years of busyness and trying to stay sane with 4 kiddos, homeschooling, 2 moves, and life in general, I had to write a quick post about my new laundry soap findings.  Let's face it, laundry is the revolving door that never stops revolving, and my laundry was getting annoying.

I  love making my own laundry soap.  I have loved it for over 6 years. It was so easy and cost effective, why would I want to stop making it?  I'm pretty sure I've saved hundreds of dollars making my own, (I'd even venture to say close to $1,000!)  I hadn't had any problems getting my clothes clean, except for the past few months.  Clothes were starting to look dingy, more gray, and getting smelly.  I mean really smelly, like moldy smell.  What??  I thought it could be my front loader washing machine.  I started washing it out with bleach more often, cleaning the rubber seal, and making sure I drained the water in the front more than once a year.  (I had no clue you even had to do that, until I started reading the washing machine manual! The things you learn!)  Regardless of all my efforts, my clothes were not getting any more pleasant smelling.  And on top of that, my clothes were getting gray spots on them.  I was tired of rewashing and eventually throwing away towels and shirts.  So I did the one thing I always do, I turned to Google for answers.  I was shocked by what I read about homemade laundry soap.  There were multiple people all saying the same thing. Here is what they were saying:

Laundry Soap is NOT the same as Laundry Detergent.  

Well, obviously they're different names, but don't they do the same thing?  Not even close.  Laundry soap is not good for fabrics.  The soap in the recipe does not rinse out easily and is left behind, which is a breeding ground for mildew.  Hence the gray spots, dinginess and smell.  I was definitely appalled reading this, but hesitant to give up my laundry soap.  I went into the grocery store with the mindset of, "I'll try one bottle of store bought laundry detergent and if it doesn't give results, I'm going back to my homemade soap until I figure something else out."   I chose a brand that was as chemical free as I could find and afford.  Amazingly, my clothes didn't smell anymore!  After one wash, they had a completely different look, feel and smell.  I was shocked at the transformation, but relieved as well.  I didn't even know we were WEARING mildew, breathing it in from our clothing, bed sheets, you name it.  No longer do I have to worry about smelly clothes, nor the health hazards of mold and mildew in our laundry.

Since I no longer DIY my laundry soap, I'm finding plenty of other DIY ventures for me to try.  Next on the list: remodeling our pop up camper!  Yes, that's right a POP UP CAMPER.  :)  Fun adventures await the Davis clan!



Blessings,

Amanda


No comments:

Post a Comment